Chickpea Curry (serves 4)
Another one for the veggie-mites amongst you! To celebrate the end of #MeatFreeMay, we thought it fitting that our last budget recipe of the month be a meatless one. This is a recipe of my own devising and has the air of ‘make-it-up-as-you-go-along’ and as such, it varies every time! Feel free to use it as a basis and inspiration for your very own creation or to leave it as it is in its primal form. This recipe is quick and easy to make, and what’s more it’s pretty healthy-there is such a thing as ‘healthy’ fast food after all, hurrah! 🙂
- 500g of rice
- Tomato puree
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 brown onion (chopped)
- 1 tin of chick peas
- Handful of fresh coriander (chopped)
- Balti paste
- Add the rice to some boiling water adding seasoning to taste.
- Sweat the onion and garlic together in a pan on medium heat with a little oil for around 10 minutes adding salt and pepper to taste. (Depending on how spicy you like things, add a sprinkling of cayenne pepper too).
- Add the chopped tomatoes and a generous squeeze of tomato puree, stirring frequently.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of Balti paste and the chickpeas
- Cook together for a further 10 minutes
- Drain the rice and dish it out adding generous dollops of the sauce
- Sprinkle some coriander on top to garnish
How much does it cost?
|2 tins chopped tomatoes||68p|
|1 brown onion||16p|
|Garlic||30p per bulb|
|1 tin of chickpeas||55p|
|1 kg rice||£1.39|
|Total||£6.62( £1.67 each)|