Vegetable and nut stir fry (serves 4)
- 300g long grain brown rice
- 300g carrots
- 50g peanuts (almonds, or cashews)
- 2 red or yellow peppers
- 1 onion
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ a savoy cabbage
- Dash of dark soy sauce
- Cook rice according to the instructions on the packet.
- Prepare and chop all the vegetables into strips and stir fry in the vegetable oil for 6 minutes, stirring constantly over a high heat.
- When the vegetables are a couple of minutes from being done, throw in the nuts and the cooked rice.
- Sprinkle with soy sauce and black pepper to serve.
How much does it cost?
|300g long grain brown rice||99p for 1kg long grain rice|
|300g carrots||23p for 300g loose (75p/kg)|
|50g peanuts||48p for 200g|
|2 red or yellow peppers||99p for a pack of 3|
|1 onion||16p per onion loose|
|1tbsp vegetable oil||90p for 500ml|
|½ a savoy cabbage||80p per cabbage|
|Dash of dark soy sauce||1.19 for 150ml|
If we assume that you already have some cooking oil (vegetable or another variety) this meal is only £4.84 and serves 4!
Manchester has some great Chinese supermarkets! If you like Chinese food it’s worth visiting one to stock up on essentials like soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and miso paste. You can find larger quantities (instead of 150ml of soy sauce, you can find 750ml bottles), a variety of products not usually stocked in big chain supermarkets, and you could make huge savings!
This recipe is borrowed from My Manchester Food Monthly, part of My Manchester News. It’s worth looking through their back issues for more recipes and for great advice on student life!