Cheater’s Carbonara (Serves 4)
This recipe is my favourite thing to make when I have no energy but really need to eat because it’s ready in 15 minutes, requires very little cutting and chopping and creates very little washing up!
- 300g spaghetti
- 2tbsp olive oil
- An onion, roughly chopped
- 200g bacon/chicken/ham in small pieces
- 200g frozen peas
- 150g garlic herb cream cheese
- Black pepper
(I’ve split this into two pans, you should cook them both at the same time)
- Cook spaghetti according to the instructions on the pack.
- Add the frozen peas to the spaghetti about 4 minutes before the spaghetti is ready to cook them through.
- Gently heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the onions, fry for about 5 minutes, until the onions are soft.
- Add the pieces of bacon and fry until golden brown and cooked through.
- Turn the heat off and stir the cream cheese through the bacon and onions.
Finally: the contents of both pans need to be mixed together in whichever pan is biggest, and then serve it up with plenty of black pepper!
- You can use bacon or ham or chicken for this- I’ve said approximately 200g but you can adjust it depending on your preference!
- I often cut the bacon/ham/chicken with scissors over the pan because it minimises washing up and is often quicker!
- Experiment with the cream cheese- you could use a garlic roulade or a different flavour of cream cheese. If it’s too rich try adding a bit of milk!
How much does it cost?
|300g spaghetti||20p for 500g|
|2tbsp olive oil||£1.25 for 250ml|
|An onion, roughly chopped||16p for 1, loose|
|Appx. 200g bacon/ chicken/ham in small pieces||£1.64 for 300g smoked or unsmoked|
|200g frozen peas||£1 for 1kg|
|150g garlic herb cream cheese||£1.10 for 250g|
|Black pepper||45p for 25g|
Or – if we assume that you’ve already got olive oil and pepper, which isn’t unreasonable, it would cost £4.10!
You’ll also have 200g spaghetti, 100g of bacon, 800g of frozen peas and 100g of cream cheese left over. You could have a bacon butty for breakfast and cream cheese sandwiches for lunch three times for just the cost of bread!