Spanish Omelette (serves 2)
Spanish Omelettes are quick and easy to make, and once you’ve got the general idea you can throw in (almost) any ingredient that is lurking in your fridge.
- A potato (about the size of a computer mouse for want of a better description, or you could use a few teeny potatoes or a bigger potato if you like lots of potato in your omelette).
- 1tbsp olive oil
- A medium sized onion, sliced
- Half an aubergine, sliced (see Tips)
- 4 medium eggs
- Boil your potato or potatoes until they are almost done then slice them into 1cm thick pieces
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add in the onion and the sliced potato, fry for 5 minutes then add the aubergine and keep frying until the potato, aubergine and onions are golden brown.
- Crack the eggs into a mug or bowl and mix them together with a fork; space the potato, aubergine and onions evenly across the frying pan and pour the eggs over.
- Keep frying until the egg is thoroughly cooked then serve up with plenty of black pepper and salt!
How much does it cost?
|A potato (computer mouse sized)||38p for 1 loose baking potato|
|1tbsp virgin olive oil||£1.25 for 250ml extra virgin olive oil|
|A medium sized onion||16p for 1 loose brown onion|
|Half an aubergine||85p for 1 aubergine|
|4 medium eggs||£1.38 for 6 free range eggs|
I admit, having befriended a few chickens in my lifetime, I can no longer buy caged-hen eggs but you could pick a 6 pack of those up for about 93p if you would prefer.
- I’ve included aubergine in my recipe because I love aubergines! If you prefer you could use a red, yellow or green pepper, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, sweetcorn or spinach or you could try a different vegetable and let us know how it goes! Choosing a different vegetable might also be cheaper.
- This version of Spanish Omelette has no meat in it; if you’re a down-and-out carnivore I suggest adding about 100g chorizo at the same time as you add the onion. A chorizo ring usually costs about £2.25 for 225g (chop half of it into ½ cm slices) or you could get it ready sliced at about £1.15 per 100g.