Tuna Pasta Bake (serves 4-6)
This is a quick and easy meal that I make regularly, I thought that it served 6 until I made it for my two housemates in my second year, so I’ve revised the serving estimate in case you have very hungry housemates too.
- 1 tin condensed cream of celery soup (other condensed soups like chicken and mushroom also work)
- Milk (approx. 1 cup)
- 2 tins tuna flakes
- 1 large tin of sweetcorn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Cheddar cheese (enough to cover the top)
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet (usually boil it for 12-15 minutes).
- Empty the cream of celery soup into a saucepan then fill the empty tin with milk, add this to the saucepan too and heat it gently until it’s almost at the boil.
- Drain the sweetcorn and tins of tuna and add these to the pan, then fill the empty sweetcorn tin with frozen peas and add these too. Let the mixture simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and put in into a baking dish or deep baking tray, add the mixture from the saucepan and grate cheddar cheese over the top.
- Put the baking dish under the grill until the cheese is brown and crispy (about 5 minutes on a high heat), then it’s ready to serve!
How much does it cost?
|1 tin of condensed cream of celery soup||95p|
|Milk||49p for a pint|
|2 tins of tuna flakes||86p x 2|
|1 large tin of sweetcorn||35p|
|1 cup frozen peas||£1 for 900g|
|Cheddar cheese||£2 for 310g|
|4 cups pasta||29p for 500g|
You’ll have plenty of frozen peas and cheese left over from this recipe, and if you use part of a bigger carton of milk you’ll save money too. Tins of tuna keep forever (well, almost) so I always buy a few tins when they are half price (which happens fairly regularly) to make my food budget go further.If you think that frozen peas are a bit gross, you could always go for the more upmarket frozen petits pois, they’re a bit sweeter and tastier and will set you back £1.75 for 1kg.
If you like our budget recipes let us know! And if you’re a foodie too and would like to contribute a recipe we would love to hear from you! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org