Falafel burgers (serves 4)
Falafel burgers are great either hot or cold. Enjoy cold as a yummy sandwich filler or hot as part of a main meal. Low in cost, big on taste! They are cheap to make and packed full of yummy goodness.
For the falafel burgers:
- 2 tins of chickpeas
- 2 cloves of garlic(diced)
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 1 lemon
- Plain flour (approx. 3tbsp)
- 1-2 tbsp. Tahini paste(sesame seed puree)
- Salt& pepper for seasoning (& cayenne pepper if you want a bit of spice!)
- Olive oil & balsamic vinegar
- Bunch of coriander
- 2 avocados
- ½ kg Brown rice
- ½ jar of Pesto
- 1 packet of cherry tomatoes
- ½ red onion(diced)
- Wholegrain mustard (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic
- Food blender
Recipe: Falafel burgers
- Sweat the onion & the garlic together in a pan with some oil on low heat for about 10 minutes or so, until the onion and garlic are soft and golden adding olive oil and salt & pepper to taste.
- Place the onion & garlic into the blender.
- Drain the 2 tins of chickpeas and add to the blender.
- Add the coriander (If you love coriander then go for a whole bunch! For those less fond of coriander add about ¼ to ½ a bunch, but be sure to wash it first!)
- Add 1-2 tbsp. of tahini paste and some lemon juice according to taste. For those who like things with a bit of a kick add some cayenne pepper as well as salt & pepper. If the mixture is too tart after you’ve added the lemon juice, sprinkle a bit of sugar or balsamic vinegar into the mix.
- Blend the items until the mixture is of a smooth texture.
- Once you are happy with your falafel mix, empty the mixture onto a plate.
- On another plate, sprinkle around 3 tbsp. of flour evenly across the plate.
- Take a small handful of the falafel mix and roll into a ball, covering with flour as you do so. If your mix is too sticky (or splatty!) add more flour.
- Repeat for the rest of the falafel mix.
- Cover your falafel burgers with cling film and place in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove the falafel burgers from the fridge. Fry the burgers on a high heat with olive oil adding more flour if necessary, and cook until the outside of the burgers are golden and crispy.
- Voila! You have your falafel burgers!
Tomato, avocado & onion salad
- Dice ½ an onion, 2 avocados and a packet of cherry tomatoes and place in a salad bowl.
- To make a dressing for the salad squash & place 1 clove of garlic (peeled) in a mug.
- (Optional)Add about a tsp. of wholegrain mustard.
- Add about 4-5 tbsp. of olive oil & about 1tbsp. of balsamic vinegar & a dash of lemon juice (or more or less if you prefer).
- Add salt & pepper to taste, and stir thoroughly. Add the dressing to the salad and mix in.
- Boil around ½ kg of rice. Drain the excess water, and add around ½ jar of pesto and stir in.
We checked the prices of all our ingredients at a popular supermarket and they cost:
|Avocados||£1.75 for 4 (44p each)|
|Chickpeas||60p each or 3 for £1.50 (50p each)|
|Garlic||49p for 3 bulbs|
|Plain Flour||45p (1.5 kg)|
|Brown Rice||£1.75 (1kg)|
|Pesto||£1.30(for a jar)|
|Salt||25p (1 kg)|
|Total||£14.81 (between 4 people)|
For fruit and veg it can often be cheaper to buy these from a fruit and veg stall or a low-cost supermarket. Remember: ditch the brand & bulk-buy tins and dried foods to save money.
Also, we have priced up all of the above ingredients. You may already have some of the items in your cupboard.
Bon Appetit! 🙂